Autminds is a non-profit organisation arranging a event/conference-type day for (and by) people with an autism spectrum disorder. They approached me to create the design and website for them. I made the design and did a part of the creation but the other part of building the website was done by my freelance partner. The logo was made by them. Besides design of website I also advised them on usability aspects. The site was supposed to be very text-heavy and I gave them advice on how to approach texts for websites. We also went through options of sign-ups and contact forms.
When I started this project, there was nothing known. No logo, no corporate identity, no style guide. I designed the website based on their wishes, target audience and expected feel of the event itself. We decided early on it would be done in WordPress so the team can easily edit posts and add news messages, etc.
The website can be viewed live here: Autminds. It is not finished at the moment.
Mockup for Autminds.
A tricky one! The last one of the challenges is definitely not the easiest. It took me a while but I did come up with a nice idea: a website where people can share their dreams to inspire others. A dreamy feel to it was harder to create. I do like the end result but I realise the contrast is low and thus it can be hard to read for people with eye trouble like colour blindness, so I added a button for a high contrast version.
It is responsive. Below you can see the computer screen and the mobile version.
Big version of the dream website.
Mobile version of the dream website.
A favourite subject of the internet I couldn’t skip it during challenge week. To keep it interesting, I designed a web shop that caters to cat lovers and offers al their petsy needs.
I stuck to a simple, minimalist design with a natural feeling usability. Some web shops drown in options and while this can be convenient, it can also be daunting. For this design I decided to go with simple.
A minimalist interface for a webshop.
Ink is a very broad theme and I considered multiple options, varying from tattoo artists to Indian Ink as a medium. I decided to go with ink as a medium and translate that to a webpage theme. For the ink theme in the Challenge Week I designed a template. The menu on the left floats and remains there while you scroll down.
The ink droplets and everything but the fonts I made myself.
For the ‘Help the Elderly’ theme I decided to make an iPad app. I was intending on designing a website, but my idea fit so much better on iPad that I decided to go with that. It’s an app that allows the elderly themselves or their caretakers to add tasks to the iPad which will give detailed instructions if necessary, keep track of daily tasks and give alerts when a time specific task has to be executed. I liked the idea so much I might keep this app in mind to actually create later.
The interface is kept huge with clear contrast to accommodate bad eyes and allow not-so tech-savvy people to navigate.
General interface of the app in use.
An example of a time-based alert.
Today’s Challenge takes on children as the target audience, something I have not really done much. I used bright colours to peak their interest in a rather dull subject, and tried to offer a clear and clean interface for them to focus on the tasks. I chose to do a mobile app because I haven’t done those much and try to use this challenge week to really challenge myself and delve into new territory. So, an app interface!
Interface for an app for children.
For day 2 I didn’t have much time to go into ideas so I decided on a simple redesign, giving an existing page an autumn feel to it. I decided on a supermarket because they often do themes and have very established corporate styles. For this little exercise I used a Dutch supermarket chain, Jumbo, that uses mainly black and yellow in their identity.
In the image you can view the original page, and the autumn version I made. A few small changed made the whole page feel more like fall without diverging from the corporate style.
Redesign of an existing website to add an autumn feel.
This year’s Challenge Week is off to a great start with the theme of ‘Death and Passing’. Challenge Week is something I organise on Twitter to push myself and followers to the creative boundaries. The subjects are kept broad so that any creative spirit can participate, regardless of their field. For 7 days a new theme will be posted every day and participants are challenged to create something that fits this theme every day and post it.
For this week I will mostly be doing website design, and here is the first one! A mock-up for a homepage of a funeral director.
My results of challenge week 1: Death and Passing.
For classical shaving I decided on a vintage style, with dark colours and straight, sharp edges to appeal to the audience. The idea is that the man will be convinced to switch to a straight razor after visiting the website.
The website can be viewed here.
Voor het klassiek scheren heb ik besloten om een retro stijl te gebruiken, met donkere kleuren en strakke, scherpe randen om bij de doelgroep aan te sluiten. Het idee achter de website is dat de man ervan wordt overtuigd om over te gaan naar de klassieke scheerstijl door het bezoeken van de website.
De website kan hier worden bekeken.
Finished on: 12 January, 2015.
View design steps here.
To improve my website design skills and practice my recently acquired jQuery knowledge (self studies), I created an imaginary company that sells beds. For this company I created an entire corporate identity, including business cards, website and logo. Ads will be a future project.
The website can be viewed here:
Read the whole story and view sketches, wireframes and more…